Home to a wide variety of legal services professionals and eminent international and regional organisations specialising in legal and dispute resolution services, Hong Kong’s deep and broad pool of local and international legal talent contributes to the city’s status as a location of choice for deal making and dispute resolution.
Hong Kong has a well-established common law heritage and a world-class legal system that is renowned for being transparent, trustworthy, and fair, underpinning Hong Kong’s reputation as one of the safest cities in the world. The city’s mature legal infrastructure, key to the robust protection of private property rights (including intellectual property rights), is integral to Hong Kong’s success as a business and financial hub in Asia.
The Basic Law preserves Hong Kong’s common law system, which is different from the legal system practised in Mainland China. Under the Basic Law, Hong Kong courts exercise independent judicial power including the power of final adjudication. Hong Kong is ranked No.2 in Asia for judicial independence according to the World Economic Forum’s Global Competitiveness Report 2019.
Download our Hong Kong's Legal system fact sheet for more information
- Sep 26, 2019SJ visits Seoul to strengthen legal co-operation
- Sep 12, 2019Legal joint conference held
- Sep 9, 2019HCCH Judgments Convention successfully held
- Sep 7, 2019SJ signs legal pact in SZ
- Aug 31, 2019Government promotes mediation
- Aug 22, 2019Dialogue builds consensus: Secretary for Justice
- Mar 27, 2019HKSAR Government responds to UK report
- Mar 22, 2019HKSAR Government responds to US report
More Stories about Legal Services